BANSIGHAT COMMUNITY CENTER
Bansighat is one of Kathmandu’s oldest informal settlements (slums). It is along the bank of the Bagmati River from Tripureshwor to Teku. The settlement has 188 households but endows with many floating populations. The people in this slum settlement is poor and often lack access to education, health services, and the employment opportunity. Bansighat community center was established to prepare the students to join the formal education and make people aware of the education, health, and sanitation. For many years, the Bansighat community center has supported the children in their education. A large group of people is found to be engaged in the labor job and hence have job insecurity. Most of the individuals are illiterate and don’t know knowledge of the importance of education in their children’s life. They only feel the necessity of the money and have engaged even their child in child labor. The school drop rate among the children is very high due to the low economic condition of their families. Two programs are running at Bansighat Community Center. The Day program, which runs from 10 A.M to 3 PM, focuses on the drop out children. Here they learn basic reading, writing, grammar, and math to make them eligible to admit in the next academic session. At the end of each year, the day program students are tested and if eligible they are admitted to nearby Vishwo Niketan Secondary School and Mahendra Saraswati Sewa Basic School.
Sukhawati store have been sponsoring education to 6 children from bansighat center 2019. We are going to support10 more students enrolled in the center due to the high risk of dropout because of Covid 19.We are executing one year plan support to Bansighat community center from September 2020. The main objectives of this support are:-
- To provide quality education and enhance the skills through practical teachings
- To increase the enrollment rate at the center and prevent dropout rate in that area.
- To improve the well- being of vulnerable and underprivileged children in the slum communities in Kathmandu valley
- To promote primary, secondary education support to vulnerable and underprivileged slum students
- To provide care and support services to these vulnerable and underprivileged slum students
- To support with basic education environment with extra curriculum to slum students.